Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Like Loney and Mango Pickles

by Art

James Loney has hit safely in all of his nine games this season.

I like Loney and I think I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he's the first Dodger I've ever seen that has the potential to maybe approach "The Streak". It's considered the unbreakable record and it's been held by Joe DiMaggio for going on 67 years; in 1941 he hit safely in 56 consecutive games. Loney is no DiMaggio, but even DiMaggio wasn't DiMaggio when The Streak started. He puts the bat on the ball more consistently then anyone I've ever seen play. Last year he hit .331 with a strikeout once every 7.1 at-bats; this year (so far) he's hitting .364 with a considerably lower at-bat/strikeout ratio of 5.5 but he always seems to find a way to put the bat on the ball.

Fun fact: in '41 DiMaggio struck out a total of 13 times the entire season, Loney already has six.

I'm not saying he's going to break 56 or even approach it, all I'm saying is he is the only Dodger I've ever seen to have Streak-like potential.

No comments: